1 x pkt chocolate cake mix
1 x 650g jar morello cherries
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
600ml thickened cream
60ml (1/4 cup) Cognac (most people using use kirsch)
2 tablespoons boiling water
2 tablespoons caster sugar, extra
100g dark cooking chocolate, grated
1. Prepare and bake the chocolate cake mix following packet directions. Let them cool completely. Use a large serrated knife to cut the cake horizontally into 3 even layers.
2. Drain the cherries, reserving (2/3 cup) of the juice. Save about 10 cherries to decorate. Place the remaining cherries and juice in a saucepan with the sugar and cornflour. Stir over medium-low heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
3. Beat cream in bowl until firm peaks form.
4. Place cognac, water and extra sugar in a jug and stir until the sugar dissolves.
5. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate and drizzle over half of the cognac mixture. Spread with half of the cherry mixture and a thin layer of the cream. Repeat with the remaining cake, cognac mixture, cherry mixture and cream, finishing with a layer of cake.
6. Spread some of the remaining cream over the top of the cake. Sprinkle the grated chocolate over the top. Decorate with cherries around the cake. Serve.