It’s National whipped cream day today and I’m celebrating with scones, jam and whipped cream! This is one of my favourite ways to have whipped cream – what’s your fave?
Below is my simple go to recipe for scones.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups self raising flour, plus extra for rolling
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 60g chopped butter, room temperature
- Pinch of salt.
1. Preheat oven to 220c. Use a baking mat and prepare to roll out dough, with a dusting of flour and rolling pin ready.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, sugar and butter pieces until it resembles a crumble consistency. I find it easier to do this with my fingers rather than utensils.
3. Make a slight dent in the flour mixture and pour in buttermilk. Then with a mixing spoon or spatula combine until the dough just comes together.
4. Roll out onto prepared mat to approx 2cm thickness. It with scone cutter and treat until all dough is used.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve with cream and jam.