Dal made in the pressure cooker, better taste and a bazillion times faster to cook!
1/4 cup frozen spinach
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups split peas
5 cups water
1. In a saucepan on the stove heat oil (I used coconut oil) and add in onion, garlic, ginger and mustard seeds. Sauté at a medium heat until the seeds begin to pop.
2. While the seeds are popping, combine coriander, cumin and fennel seeds in a grinder or mini food processor and blitz. Add to the saucepan.
3. After 2 minutes, transfer this mixture to a pressure cooker. Add in split peas, water, diced tomatoes and all other spices.
4. Lock pressure cooker and set to 10 minutes.
5. After cooking has finished, release the pressure and add in frozen spinach stirring through.
6. Lock pressure cooker in place again and leave on the keep warm function for an additional 30 minutes.
7. Release the pressure again, stir and serve!
* If not using an electric pressure cooker a slow cooker will use the same recipe with 4 cups of water at ‘high’ for 4 hours.
* If using a stove top (not electric) pressure cooker the pressure will release itself at the correct time.