2kg frozen spinach
400g feta, crumbles
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, strips
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 packet filo pastry
- Place spinach in a saucepan and cover with water until just submerged. Bring to a simmer until the spinach was broken down by itself. Drain water out and put spinach aside to cool. Once cooled drain excess liquid from the spinach using your hands.
- Crumble feta into a bowl. In another bowl, whisk eggs. Set both aside.
- Gently fry off the onion in a good splash of oil. You want the onion softened, no fried off.
- Combine the spinach, eggs, onion, feta, ricotta, sundried tomatoes & pine nuts altogether. Set aside.
- Wipe down the bench space and lay out the filo pastry. Cover the filo with a wet tea towel for a few minutes. After a few minutes switch the wet tea towel and place a dry one directly on the filo and then the wet tea towel on top of the dry one.
- To make butter wash, melt 1/4 butter in the microwave. Add in oil and stir. Brush pan with this wash.
- Starting with two filo pieces, brush butter wash over and then fold over once halfway and the brush with butter wash again. Repeat this until you have the base and sides of the pan covered.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of the spinach mixture onto the filo and spread to cover area.
- Repeat steps 7 & 8.
- Add two final filo sheets that have been brushed in butter wash on top of the pan to create a lid on the pie. Ensure the top is brushed properly with butter wash so it doesn’t dry out.
- Bake at 180c for 25 minutes. enjoy!!